Now I know why they call Vogue 8793 the Ultimate T-Shirt
I’ve been at it again and doing a little more fun sewing for me when I should have actually been working on my assignment… ah well there’s always tomorrow.
So here’s what I’ve been getting up to…
A couple of months ago I signed up for the Craftsy class with Marcy and Katherine Tilton – The Ultimate T-Shirt: Fitting & Construction . I watched the class all the way through when I first signed up and have been itching to jump in and make my first T-Shirt. I decided to take some timeout from my studies and make my first Ultimate T-Shirt and I’m so glad I did as I just love it and it fits perfectly! I can definitely highly recommend this class and Vogue 8793
What do you think? Not a bad looking T-Shirt even if I do say so myself 🙂
Overall I really happy with the outcome of this T-Shirt. It’s the first time I’ve ever sewn myself a T-Shirt and I love it. I’ll definitely be using Vogue 8793 again that’s for sure!
The great thing about this pattern Vogue 8793 is it’s included in Marcy and Katherine Tilton – The Ultimate T-Shirt: Fitting & Construction Craftsy class and it’s posted to you straight after you sign up for the class.
To make the T-Shirt I used some stretch knit fabric from the haul that I purchased when we had our holiday back home on the Gold Coast and OMG I had so many to choose from and I had a hard time deciding which fabric to use. With so many fabrics to choose from and because at the end of the class Katherine and Marcy share a collection of T-Shirts they’d made I had so many ideas spinning around in my head as to which fabrics to use and what ideas to use.
I’m so glad I chose the fabrics I used for my first T-Shirt as they were a dream to sew with and I just love the print and the colour and had a little fun with print placement and I made sure the big circles didn’t end up in places I’d rather they didn’t like on one of my boobs LOL
How good did this neckband turn out?
Katherine and Marcy share two different techniques for attaching the neckband. I decided I’d go with Marcy’s technique and I’m glad I did as it sat perfectly on my first attempt. Here’s a close up of how nice and flat the neckband sits. I don’t think I could have got a better result even if I tried. In the class Katherine & Marcy didn’t use the pattern piece that comes with Vogue 8793. They both show a way of measuring and creating your own neckband which was really easy to do and as you can see turned out well for this T-Shirt.
I’m now onto T-Shirt No 2 and having a little fun with colour blocking and trying to create an illusion
With my new found confidence from what I had learned in this class and with my head full of ideas of what I could do with Vogue 8793 and some of the fabric I had on hand I decided I’d give colour blocking a try. I’ve seen so many great projects people have sewn using colour blocking and I’ve been waiting for an opportunity and thought this pattern would be perfect to give it a go.
I figured I’d trace off the Vogue 8793 pattern, I’d just used to make my first T-Shirt, and slice it up into sections. Then I thought mmmm maybe I could give myself the illusion of an hourglass figure by blocking out an hour glass shape on the front and the back pattern pieces.
So with pen, pattern, and rulers at hand on, and a bit of dutch courage behind me I was on my way to trying out my first colour blocking attempt. I thought for this T-Shirt I’d also lower the neckline a little as this is meant to give you a longer look adding to the illusion of a slimmer figure.. or so they say anyways LOL.
Once I decided where I wanted to cut my pattern pieces, I marked out all my changes and cutting lines and sliced up my pattern. Then added some extra paper for the new seam lines and then cut out the pattern. I was all set to go on my first attempt at colour blocking 🙂
Here’s my pattern pieces all cut out and my fabric selection made.
I will admit at this stage I was feeling a little nervous wondering to myself if this was going to work and look as good as what I was visualising it would. Like they say you never never know unless you give it a go. Let’s face it worse case I’ll just waist a little fabric but I then again I can always buy more.
The print knit is a burnout knit and I was thinking I would use the black knit as an underlining on the bodice and leave the sleeve unlined so a little skin would show through and show off the burnout print in the knit.
Once I cut out my fabric I placed the burnout fabric on top of the plain black fabric I was using as the underling and for the rest of the T-Shirt. In this pic you can see the burnout sections in the print fabric.
Once I’d pinned the top layers of the front and back panels I machines basted them together so as I could continue on sewing the pieces as if they were one.
Here’s what the centre front looked like when it was pinned and ready for basting.
Here’s what the centre back looks like all pinned together ready for basting.
So that’s all the photos I have for my colour blocking to for now… I can say it’s finished but I just haven’t yet taken any pics… so stay tuned to find out if I ended up creating that dream hourglass illusion for myself or if it was just a illusion I’d created in my mind 🙂